levi’s canada goose parka outlet

Parties Clash over Weight Given to Uncorroborated Evidence
Between 1970 and 1975, I was a primary school student in Toul Tom Pong in Phnom Penh. On April 17 I was asked to leave my house for three days after an announcement because the Khmer Rouge needed to get rid of the enemy. The Khmer Rouge said that if anyone refused to leave they would be accused of being an enemy and would be shot dead. My father took my mother and seven children on National Road No. 3. April 17 people would be transferred to Sector 4. We boarded transport under the watchful eyes of the Khmer Rouge. The adults were separated from the children, and females separated from males. We all had to eat separately. The Khmer Rouge forced us to work hard in building dykes and canals and plowing. They monitored the activities of the new people. They monitored us every day, day and night. Often we were asked about our background, and the living conditions became worse as we did not have sufficient food and we were forced to work eight to 10 hours a day. We were told not to say anything bad about Angkar and dress only in black.[39]

In 1975 my family was evacuated from Phnom Penh and everyone had to travel on foot. On that day my family separated from various places. My younger sister, whose husband was a colonel, was killed at Bokor Mountain. Also in December 1975 my mother-in-law was killed after being accused of being a feudalist. By mid-977 my elder brother’s family was taken and killed by Angkar after they revealed their backgrounds. My husband was a Lon Nol Government soldier. Five to six members of his family died. Eight of my nephews were killed. The application of the proverb “If you dig the grass, you need to clean the root” turned out to be true.[40]

On April 14, 1975, the Khmer Rouge took control of Kompong Speu province. I fled by military plane to Phnom Penh. On April 17, the Khmer Rouge took full control of Phnom Penh and made an announcement for all city dwellers to evacuate immediately to avoid U.S. bombardment. We walked day and night to Kampong Speu province. I stayed there for 1.5 months and then was further evacuated to Banteay Meanchey Province. They separated me from my family to live in the children’s unit to pick rice. I received one bowl of rice and one ladle of porridge a day. I was emaciated. Some people accused of making minor mistakes were killed, under the pretext of re-education. There was no gain in keeping us.[41]

On April 17 the Khmer Rouge forced the people to leave towns and go to the countryside and if they refused they would be shot dead. At that time I had just delivered my baby. Ten days after delivery I was forced onto National Road 4. On the road I encountered a lot of difficulties; there was no water, shelter, or food. Children cried with fatigue as they walked under the heat of the sun. I saw a lot of dead bodies on the road. When I could no longer move, my husband pulled me on a piece of card. We headed north in the direction of Oudong. We had to hide the biography of my husband who was former military personnel, so we could not return to our home district. In September 1975 we were forced to go to Pursat Province Wat Leung Cooperative. Since we were considered 17 April [people], we received one can of rice per day for five to six people. In order to survive we had to pick leaves from trees and mix levi’s canada goose parka outlet with our gruel. In early 1976 my family was separated. My children had to work and did not engage in any study. I could not look after my children due to the long hours of the agricultural work. Occasionally I saw my husband. One day I saw a man who worked with my husband was wearing my husband’s shirt. The man told me that my husband was arrested and killed. Upon hearing the news I almost fainted. From that day onwards I lost hope in my life. Due to insufficient food and lack of medicine, in the period of four months my six children died of malnutrition. The people in the cooperatives disappeared. I almost became crazy.[42]

I lived near Toul Tom Pong market in Phnom Penh. I heard on the broadcasts that the Khmer Rouge entered the city, and after, levi’s canada goose parka outlet became a bit subdued. There were a lot of soldiers, big and small vehicles, making an announcement that everyone should leave their houses for seven days to avoid the U.S. bombardment. I and my seven children were forced to leave and I was separated from my husband. I saw the Khmer Rouge kill people on the spot as they disobeyed Khmer Rouge orders. Whoever had a role with the previous regime had to register with Angkar, and then Angkar would send them to do their previous job. Some people rushed to sign up and were ordered to dress nicely and line up on National Road 1 and then killed.[43]

On April 17 we were forced to leave Phnom Penh under gunpoint. The Khmer Rouge soldiers told us that Americans would drop bombs on the city and we needed to leave to avoid bombardment. Together with my younger brother, sister, and three children (ages 8, 5, and 4), we left. When [we] arrived at the base, we were forced to engage in work on the plantations. I was given no times to rest. When I was sick or fatigued I did not dare to rest.[44]

On April 17, I lived in Phnom Penh with five brothers, [a] sister, and parents near the railway station. After noon, the Khmer Rouge soldiers ordered us to leave the house because the Americans would drop bombs. Along the road the Khmer Rouge would instruct us on which direction we needed to head to. The Khmer Rouge did not hesitate to kill anyone who disobeyed. I witnessed the killing in this fashion.[45]

In 1970 my family lived in Phnom Penh; we were ordinary workers. In 1975 my family returned to our native village and we were considered April 17 people and all jewellery was confiscated. The only means of survival was the exchanging of clothes with base people.[46]

In 1975 the Khmer Rouge cadres evacuated my mother, uncles, aunts, and nephews to Svay Rieng province. They forced them to work extremely hard, with small rations and food and no medicine, because they alleged we were 17 April people.[47]

Three days following April 17 I was forced to leave the city. We were not allowed to bring any belongings; the Khmer Rouge told us they were going to reorganize the city. I was forced to walk all the way to Kandal Province, 15 days journey. We were then organized into 17 April people, and they sent us to a new location Chum Lu Commune, which was riddled with malaria. We were only given half a tin of rice and levi’s canada goose parka outlet was not sufficient for us.[48]

Prior to April 17 my family lived in Phnom Penh, and I was married to a husband who was a former soldier of Lon Nol regime. The Khmer Rouge entered Phnom Penh, shot guns in the air, and pointed at city dwellers. Because of the fear we had to leave the city, and we had to carry our belonging barefoot. When we reached Nek Leung, we went to my husband’s hometown, hoping we would meet relatives. We travelled barefoot for two months. I pitied my young children because they were crying the whole way because of hunger. My family was accused of being 17 April and were discriminated by base people. We got smaller rations of food.[49]

On April 17 my family lived in Phnom Penh. My husband was a Lon Nol soldier. Three days after the liberation they began to evacuate people. They shot into the air threatening city dwellers; anyone who resisted their orders would be killed. Those who came from any country villages had to come back to those villages, allowing the Khmer Rouge to reorganize the city. On National Road 2, I witnessed lots of swollen corpses. We were sent to Ta Am village in Takeo province. Those people called us “the contemptible 17″ and forced our families to work extremely hard, much harder than the base people, and [with] much smaller rations. If they were given a bowl of gruel we would get half.[50]

My family was gathered by Khmer Rouge on a truck after my father died. They gathered us in different trucks; the new people were on one and base people the other. Along the way on National Road 3 to Kampot province, when we reached Bokor valley, they turned into the steep valley and dumped the people into the valley; the base people were taken elsewhere.[51]

Prior to 1975 I was a Lon Nol soldier residing in Kampot province up until April 1975. I had to give up my job and hide my identity. My family was evacuated and asked to move to the Northwestern zone of the country. We had to carry belongings, and it took us several weeks to reach Bantaey Meanchey province. We had to abandon our self-interest and get rid of our old capitalist mentality. We would live in a society of equality; there would not be any exploitation. When we arrived, the base people considered us as the 17 people, and Angkar made us work with the base people.[52]

During the rainy season and the transplanting season in Pursat province, they asked us what our family background was. They were particularly interested in what my parents did. They were very good at interviews. Many people were lured into telling them the truth, and they would take those people in a truck and take them away.[53]

Following April 17, the Khmer Rouge evacuated my relatives from Phnom Penh and relocated [us] to Kompong Speu province, my father’s hometown. The cadre gathered the 17 April people and placed them in a new village specifically for 17 April people. Up until November 1976, the Khmer Rouge cadre summoned my father at about 6 a.m. to plant potatoes until 10 p.m. Following this they arrested my father, tortured him, took his liver, cut open his stomach, and then cooked it. They told our families that we were from the previous regimes, and they treated us very badly. We were not given sufficient medicine apart from the rabbit dung medicine.[54]

Comments are closed.